During last year’s workshop, one of the exercises was to choose two pieces of painted fabric that complemented one another in style or color. Then we were to interpret the fabrics through quilting, while changing the character of the design. We started in class, and I just finished the quilting this week. Now the really hard part is to cut each of them into a minimum of three pieces each, then combine them into a single quilt! Hopefully one that feels integrated and makes sense. I have no idea where I’m going with this. The two pieces are on my design wall, and I’m hoping for inspiration. I don’t have a photo of the first piece prior to quilting, because I got quite a ways in class. But you get the idea. I quilted with a variety of quilting patterns to give strong texture, although that wasn’t a requirement or suggestion. We shall see how that ultimately works out. The piece must be completed by the last week of May when our ninth session (out of ten) begins. I’ll be really interested to see what the other participants in the class have done.
Leave a Reply